This knife is not only noteworthy for its beautiful design and ergonomic handle, but also for the quality of the craftsmanship that goes into building each and every single one of these blades. IKBS does not stand for “internal knife bearing system” it stands for “Ikoma Korth bearing system” named after its inventors. My other review was for a Kershaw AM-3 in which I said I set my trusty Ripple aside to give the newer knife a try. CRKT Ripple - Aluminum - K415KXP. CRKT Ripple EDC Folding Pocket Knife: Gentleman Everyday Carry, Satin Blade, IKBS Ball Bearing Pivot, Locking Liner, Textured Aluminum Handle, Pocket Clip K415KXP 4.4 out of 5 stars 418 $54.99 $ 54. This is a nice size for an EDC knife. CRKT Ripple 2 Specs: Overall length: 6.5 inches Blade length: 2.75 inches Blade: acuto 440 hollow ground Weight: 2.4 oz Unassisted frame lock A sleek … Well, after writing a review for another knife, I felt like I was slighting CRKT and Ken Onion. Deze staalsoort wordt samen met 8Cr13MoV veel gebruikt bij scherp geprijsde zakmessen, omdat het een uitstekende prijs-/kwaliteitverhouding biedt. I just ordered this knife and I’m glad I read this review because now it make’s me look forward to getting the knife all the more. I would prefer if they re-worked the pocket clip so that it was ambidextrous, and a little less weird, but beyond that you get a lot of nice knife for the money. Excellent review! They are ambidextrous, simple, and when the knife is open they can offer a little more hand protection. Having the lock engage “late” from the start means that you may get less life out of the lock. This is one of the smoothest opening knives currently on the market (production blades at least). Het lemmet heeft een lengte van 7,9cm en een dikte van 2,54mm. The Ripple is a non-assisted open knife actuated by a flipper on the back of the handle. Finally, the handle is bolted together with two pillars. CRKT Ripple. This is a thin metal handle so logic would suggest that this won’t be the most comfortable knife. In fact, the ergonomics are surprisingly good. He grew up using pocket knives, and the decision to start the website stemmed from his fascination of all things sharp combined with a deep passion for writing. Thanks Paleus, sometimes these kinds of inconsistencies fall through the tracks, especially if it isn’t an obvious typo – I need to fire my fact checker. I sent e-mail to the CRKT folks and they promptly sent me an M-21 for review. Een grote en kleine variant met een Aluminium handvat en 6 versies met een Roestvrij stalen handvat. This is a really slender and refined blade and it comes with an exquisite tip. Het handvat is gemaakt van 6061 aluminium met daarin twee roestvrij stalen liners van 2CR13 staal. Met CNC-Frezen zijn er meer dan 40 ribbels in het handvat gemaakt. The CRKT Ripple is a knife that I find to be extremely attractive. The bearings are uncaged and sit in little grooves machined into the handle and are used in place of teflon or phosphor bronze washers. This is a very slim handle and all the detail is unlike anything else currently on the market. As a way of opening a knife, flippers have a lot of innate appeal. In reality I have bought 2 Ripples, due to losing one a few years ago. CRKT staat bekend om hun functionele en kwalitatieve zakmessen en outdoor messen. Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for CRKT Ripple Gray Fixed Blade Knife with Sheath, Serrated Edge K406GXS at Amazon.com. De liners bevatten diverse gaten om het gewicht van het mes te verminderen. It has no spring that deploys the blade, it is just a flipper that is made very smooth by the IKBS. With the assisted open and the flipper, I can totally see why CRKT opted for tip down carry, but with 44 holes already in this knife, they really need to drill a couple more and make this clip ambidextrous. CRKT Ripple EDC Folding Pocket Knife: Gentleman Everyday Carry, Satin Blade, IKBS Ball Bearing Pivot, Locking Liner, Textured Aluminum Handle, Pocket Clip K415KXP 4.4 out of 5 stars 414 $54.99 $ 54 . I didn't like the M-21. Very detailed and informative. I meant to say “non-assisted opening” – and I learned something new there about the IKBS. An interesting feature of the Ripple is the IKBS opening system. Average rating. He is recognized as an authority on daily carry knives and has consulted with knife companies on product design. It’s on par with AUS-8, but below VG-10 and 154CM in the steel hierarchy. Messenshop.nl is uw webshop als het gaat om messen, van keukenmes tot zakmes. Due to the intricate design on the handle you can hardly tell the framelock is there. The Ripple comes in a few sizes. It is a very unique look and can be difficult to capture in photographs although darkchild69, our featured photographer, has done an excellent job here. The smart IKBS ball bearing system really characterises this knife. Last Updated: August 4, 2019 The whole knife is less than 5/16″ thick. Additionally, there is nice jimping on both the thumb ramp and handle. Very interesting Rob! De Aluminium versies zijn voorzien van een linerlock, terwijl de RVS versies zijn voorzien van een frame lock. September 20, 2012 by Tony Sculimbrene. IKBS is ontwikkeld door Flavio Ikoma (Bekend van de CRKT Fossil) en Rick Lala. Don’t bother with this knife.Is a great design yes,but the manufacture is no that good.There is a dead spot on the blade where the electrodes are attached that kills the heat treat.So you have a decent blade and steel,but is negated by the poor etching.If you doubt this…take your blade and put it over some heat and see for your self.The spot(s) on both sides of the blade will be clear as will the line to the etch.That grey area you see is dead steel.So all the heat treating and tempering is negated by a poor etching process. Vervolgens is het gehele handvat zwart geanodiseerd. De Ripple is verkrijgbaar in acht varianten. CRKT worden vaak samen met bekende messenmakers ontwikkeld. De CRKT Ripple is verder nog voorzien van een koordgat en een verwijderbare broekclip, die enkel tip-down gedragen kan worden. Het Ripple mes is van uitstekende kwaliteit en is erg soepel dankzij het ingebouwde kogellager systeem. CRKT Ripple Review. Best High Value Knives. As I’ve said, this is quite a bit larger than it looks, and while specifications don’t lie, those numbers mean this knife should be categorized as a medium-sized everyday carry, though it looks and feels like a much smaller knife. All things considered the CRKT did a great job with the Ripple. How would you compare this version of the Ripple to the Wal-Mart version? I have swiss bearings on my skateboard which incurrs a lot more friction than any edc. CRKT staat voor Columbia River Knife & Tool. Ripple protocol works like ripple effect and has its roots in the blockchain technology but it differs in some ways. The Ripple uses a steel frame lock, which is plenty strong for the kind of EDC tasks this knife was designed. This IKBS equipped knife includes loose bearings. Best EDC Knives I will add this one to the list and try to get something done as soon as possible. The flowing lines and sharp looks were very “Ken Onion-y” and upon closer inspection the knife was in fact designed by Ken Onion. Required fields are marked *. Toen in 1997 de CRKT Kiss werd geïntroduceerd maakte het bedrijf een explosieve groei mee. The flipper has been given some aggressive jimping that really bites into your thumb, you will not be slipping on this flipper. Hoewel 8Cr14MoV niet zo goed presteert als CPM 154CM, VG-10 of S30V, is het een prima staalsoort voor algemeen dagelijks gebruik zoals het openen van verpakkingen, schillen van fruit etc. There are no thumb studs. There is an absence of the typical organic curves that Ken Onion is known for, but it still has his style and I find myself wanting for nothing. The CKRT Ripple is a design that had me doing a double take. I’ve heard good things about the Wal-Mart version however, people seem to like it for the $35 or so price tag. The Ripple is one of the knives that laid the foundation for Ken Onion / CRKT collaborations, and continues to be a great lightweight high value option for folks years after its original release. The IKBS combined with the assisted feature makes for effortless blade presentation. Rob, that is really interesting! I didn’t realize that is what it stood for, must not have researched that thoroughly enough. I’m a big fan of Ken Onion too, he comes up with some really cool designs. It’s a slim design that begs to be carried. It sits flush with the top of the handle and follows the line of the handle. Sorry but one other thing……it is not IKBS….it is a poor imitation.Yes it has the brand on it.But the difference is the bearing.It is not a true raceles bearing.They use a fully open bearing hub.The bearings will collect dirt and whatever.The IKBS bearing has a lip around the hub,keeping the bearings in place and preventing wear and debris from hindering its function.Sorry to burst bubbles here but CRKT knew what they were doing and its wrong. The swedge running 3/4 of the top of the blade is another elegant touch and the high hollow grind makes this a nice slicer as well. Frame locks are designed to slowly break in and will travel over with extended use. Plenty of blade in a lightweight package. Een grote en kleine variant met een Aluminium handvat en 6 versies met een Roestvrij stalen handvat. It’s also interesting to hear how this is not truely IKBS. I need to get one of these more inexpensive versions of the knife, take some high res photos and publish a video review. In deze review van Messenshop.nl behandelen we de CRKT Ripple: Een serie heren zakmessen van het Amerikaanse merk Columbia River Knife & Tool. Get the same contemporary styling, smooth flowing profile and all around fresh design as the original Ripple—now available with aluminum scales.The aluminum handles are anodized black and then hand buffed to expose the silver aluminum, creating an attractive, randomized pocket worn finish to the handles. When CRKT team up with Ken Onion, only one thing can really happen as a result – pure magic. Heeft u een vraag neem dan gerust contact met ons op, wij staan voor u klaar. Read honest and unbiased product reviews from our users. If you get a Ripple with this late lock up, I would recommend talking with CRKT and getting it fixed because in my opinion, this shouldn’t happen with a new knife. Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for CRKT Ripple EDC Folding Pocket Knife: Gentleman Everyday Carry, Satin Blade, IKBS Ball Bearing Pivot, Locking Liner, Textured Aluminum Handle, Pocket Clip K415KXP at Amazon.com. Here is a great video from CRKT on how to clean an IKBS equipped knife. It's a sweet knife, but bigger and heavier than I need for a daily driver. Not only is the Ripple lightweight at under 3 ounces, but it’s thin too. ...First off the ergonomics are great but remember this is a smaller knife. The handle has been rounded and the flipper helps define the choil. Another design element is the series of 44 small holes milled into the side of the handle. The two new Carbon Fiber handle versions are available now as an exclusive to Snap-on Tools. Learn how your comment data is processed. CRKT has released this knife in several different steels over the years, but 8Cr14MoV is going to be the most common configuration. This post contains affiliate links. This knife “flows” from an aesthetic standpoint and I think the design is just phenomenal. He founded the site in 2010, and for the first 5 years Dan wrote all of the reviews and recorded all of the video reviews. We may get paid an affiliate commission if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of the links on this web page. If you search on youtube there are a number of comparisons I believe. The versions with caged bearings are easier to take apart. 3 review(s) Latest reviews Latest review Peter, Vroomshoop. Best Tactical Knives The review has been updated (and improved) thanks to your feedback. Ok here is the fix.First I annealed and re heat treated the blade.The next thing is getting rid of the crappy bearings.So use a toothpick and out they go.Pack the channel with lithium greese and make a spacer out of the clam pack plastic it came in.Works smoother and if the spacer wears out,just make a new one.No need to send a company who ripped you off more money for parts designed to wear. This is an interesting fix for sure. The youngest ever inductee into the Blade Magazine Hall of Fame in 2008, he is recognized as one of the most innovative and successful knife designers of all time. And apparently the bearings do not need much maintenance, which is good because I would not want to take this knife apart. Hard to say Mac as I have yet to actually buy a Wal-Mart version of the knife. The handle has then been either a blue or black titanium nitride coating and then has been rubbed to reveal the silver look of the steel. CRKT Ripple Review When CRKT team up with Ken Onion, only one thing can really happen as a result – pure magic. It is mounted high for tip down carry. Reviews. Here is a parting size comparison with my Boker Plus Urban Trapper: The Ripple is a beautiful knife. Pluspunten:- Zeer soepele opening- Opvallend handvat, Minpunten:- De broekclip is niet te verplaatsen (wel te verwijderen)- De geannodiseerde coating begint na een halfjaar gebruik te slijten. from Knifecenter.com - The Original and Largest Online Catalog of Cutlery The blade is an attractive drop point design. Buy CRKT Ripples, The Ripples are noteworthy for its exceptional manufacturing quality, premium stainless steel build, plus an almost unbelievable silky smooth and fast opening action thanks to the use of the IKBS internal knife ball bearing system. Click here to buy the Gray Ripple 2 knife: http://www.osograndeknives.com/store/catalog/every-day-carry-folders/crkt-k401gxp-ken-onion-ripple-2-folder-2.78and34 In the comments for that review, one of suggestion was to check out the CRKT M-16 or M-21. The CRKT Ripple is designed by Ken Onion and is a strong knife of high quality. Messenshop.nl is tevens onderdeel van MyStore. vrij lang scherp. Check out all reviews Check out all reviews. Hey Dan, not sure if it’s worth updating at this point, but there is now a $39 version of this knife on KnifeCenter, with well-known 8CR14MoV steel and aluminum handles. De Ripple is verkrijgbaar in acht varianten. This provides plenty of traction and makes this a very easy knife to use for general tasks. Your email address will not be published. Thanks for the input Matt, I agree the IKBS should hold up alright under normal use. The handle of the Ripple is either made of 420J2 stainless steel (the framelock version) or aluminum (the linerlock version – shown here). U bent dus verzekerd van de beste service en onze veilige betaalomgeving. In deze review van Messenshop.nl behandelen we de CRKT Ripple: Een serie heren zakmessen van het Amerikaanse merk Columbia River Knife & Tool.