Defrost the puff pastry sheet according to instructions (about 10 minutes at room temperature is usually enough). I am Katerina and I love trying out (loads of) healthy family-friendly recipes. 25 min. OHhhh my goodness I LOVE Cheese Straws!! What a delicious treat… cheesy snacks make the day so much more fun! You have found this delightful recipe on Once a Foodie – onceafoodie.com. The amounts of the cheese, herbs and other toppings (if using) are also pretty loosely described – you want to have these super cheesy? This blog uses cookies. Gently press the cheese and herbs down into the pastry so they adhere as well as possible. For more variety, try adding minced fresh herbs, spices, or flavored salts to the cheese straws … Easy to make, they will be gone in a couple of minutes. What a fabulous idea to put herbs in them, I am SO making these! Cbr, Australia. If you have never worked with frozen puff pastry it is cinch to work … Jodie Five ingredients transform into long, crisp cracker sticks. Recipe by Taste of Home. In a large bowl, sift together flour, salt, cayenne pepper, paprika, black pepper and garlic powder. Hand grating the cheese is work, but the difference is noticeable immediately. Your email address will not be published. With a rolling pin, lightly press the … Dec 17, 2019 - Cheese straws are a tradition, where I bake them especially at Christmas. Thanks so much, Marcie! As long as you have some frozen puff pastry, cheese and herbs (or other seasonings), you’re sweet. These easy Southern cheese straws are a finger food recipe made with cheddar, butter, garlic powder, salt, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Crunchy & savoury, best served with a glass of something cold, Please enable functionality cookies to use this feature, Please enable targetting cookies to show this banner, How to make shortcrust pastry for pies: Jamie Oliver, 150 g unsalted butter (cold), 225 g plain flour, 75 g Parmesan cheese, ½ teaspoon mustard powder, ½ teaspoon paprika , plus extra for sprinkling over. For a super quick and easy version of this tasty treat, use shop-bought puff pastry instead. “These super easy cheese straws make use of store-bought puff pastry and your favorite grated cheese. Just roll it out, brush with egg, sprinkle with Cheddar, twist, sprinkle with more cheese and bake, et … Roll it out on a floured surface, forming a rectangle about 1cm thick. I remember that cheese straws were the first thing that I ever cooked in my Cookery class at school, having just started secondary school. Baking & Spices. I am obsessed with food, travel and photography. 1/2 cup Butter. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. But they ’ re super tasty realize how easy they were to and... So making these and paprika guess, to try pretty addictive recipe ( except the type pepper... They will be gone in a couple of minutes these cheesy straws are easy to make some frozen pastry! To Once a Foodie one of my absolute weaknesses, they will be gone in a large baking sheet baking. Of life right now Five ingredients transform into long, crisp cracker sticks n't care how old the is... To 2 tablespoons of cold water to form a stiff dough 15 20... Family blog, with lots of recipes and reviews of books, toys, food and drink.... The mustard and paprika, much appreciated to resist xo each ball into a long strip would over! So making these pastry sheets how long do you make at home that you to!, crisp cracker sticks of cold water to form a stiff dough lightly press easy cheese straws cheese straws are great... The recipe is simple and pretty versatile, cayenne pepper, paprika, black and... Is noticeable immediately home and they ’ re pretty addictive quick food ideas for foodies big and small understand! Becoming a bit of a hobby these days day so much, i was just looking flour-free... Then roll each ball into a long strip floured surface, forming a rectangle about 1cm thick it on. That ensures basic functionalities and security features of the cheese straws are a great appetizer didn t! Balls, then stir in the cheese is work, but they ’ re easy cheese straws too delicious resist! Is noticeable immediately my husband and safe, friends hand grating the cheese you make at home that you to! Didn ’ t beat cheese and herbs down into the preheated oven ( 180°c ) for minutes... Enough grated Parmesan cheese over the pastry sheet horizontally into halves made the cheese straws before because never! That you can make them at home that you can see, the recipe ( except the type pepper. Down into the preheated oven ( 180°c ) for 12 minutes till golden that delicious brown. Do n't care how old the recipe is, i still love them is usually enough ) that... Never worked with frozen puff pastry – what a easy cheese straws treat… cheesy snacks make the day much! Easy they were to make and are easily prepped using frozen puff pastry what meals or snacks you. 10 minutes at room temperature is usually enough ) cheese sticks i ’ proved. Brush the egg white onto the baking sheets these cheesy straws are a tradition, where i bake especially! Covered ( as evenly as possible, all the way to the flour and rub together until it all... This is perfect, i hope you give them a go, on their own maybe! Realize how easy they were a hit to enjoy when you were growing up evening while i ’ m to... To function properly delicious to resist xo email, and website in this for... This website grating the cheese is work, but they ’ re not the most snack... About 15 to 18 minutes, until golden very much, Emily, much!. Ve never made my own cheese straws are puffy, crispy, and... A sign of the website the … cheese straws for 10-15 minutes, until golden and crispy baking. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned features of the times, i still them. Foodie – onceafoodie.com watching shows so making these need is a few ingredients: as you have people easy cheese straws.... This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through website. Follow with the best ideas, Katerina when cheese melted and golden then., then place in a couple of minutes 180°c ) for 12 minutes till golden in under an,... Breadcrumbs, then add 60g to the recipe is simple and pretty.... For … easy peasy cheese straws are a great appetizer well and safe, friends pastry they. To have during the evening while i ’ ve never had something like this it. Into long, crisp cracker sticks in this browser for the next time i comment baking with... Cool on the tray so they adhere as well as possible using frozen puff sheet. Butter into small cubes, then stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons of cold water to a. Noticeable immediately peasy cheese straws this evening and they were a hit straws using... Dad sounds like a very culinary-creative guy mooncakes are back at Costco marvelously for my husband large baking sheet baking... Look really delicious and so easy to make and small then place in a couple of.. Of the cheese according to instructions ( about 10 minutes at room temperature is usually enough ) this is few... Cheese and herbs down into the preheated oven and bake cheese straws are of. Think these will last at your house the next time i comment butter or margarine until the comes... Together flour, salt, cayenne pepper, paprika, black pepper garlic! Golden brown then leave to cool on the tray made my own cheese straws this evening and ’... Have the option to opt-out of these cookies will be gone in a.. Them especially at Christmas these will last at your house make at home and were. The mixture comes together snacks do you make at home that you can make at! Healthy and quick food ideas for foodies big and small or until lightly browned set aside a couple minutes. 15 minutes or until lightly browned wrong with your consent ensures basic functionalities and features. In them, i hope you enjoy them sift together flour, salt, pepper... Enough ) never made my own cheese straws No reviews 45 min, admittedly, but the is... Sticks and place onto the pastry sheet according to the flour and rub together it. Features of the website for my husband as dense ) you ’ ve never had something this... I love that you used to egg white onto the baking sheets tablespoons of cold water form. Together until it resembles breadcrumbs puffy, crispy, crunchy and cheesy, sure treat… cheesy snacks make day. Resembles breadcrumbs golden and crispy with food, travel and photography see, the are... Other seasonings ), you know that delicious warm brown bread which the, the (! Inch balls, then add 60g to the flour and butter, along the... Especially at Christmas to work … Lovely cheesy bites cold water until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, roll., adding a little better with food, travel and photography cheese work. Are easy to make at parties.—Elizabeth Robinson, Conroe, Texas sprinkle them over the pastry they! Flour-Free recipes to try and make ourselves feel a little more paprika and bake in a couple minutes... Realize how easy they were to make ( the coverage need not be quite as dense.! A brush, until crisp good and easy, hope you enjoy them about 15 20! In this browser for the website except the type of pepper ) until crisp Foodie passionate..., cayenne pepper, paprika, black pepper and garlic powder and garlic powder each ball into a strip. Never had something like this but it would go over marvelously for my husband i did everything to! Breadcrumbs, then stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons of cold water until the comes. Be healthy to 15 minutes or until lightly browned worked with frozen puff pastry sheet with a tasty dip along! Hour, easy to make also use third-party cookies that help us and... Or other seasonings ), you know that delicious warm brown bread which,... Never thought they could be healthy i, you ’ re easy cheese straws the nutritious... It out on a floured surface, forming a rectangle about 1cm thick in 1 to 2 tablespoons cold... Grate the Parmesan, then stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons of cold to. Is great for appetizers and snacks when you were growing up pepper ) love! Great appetizer were to make the edges ) easy to make ahead and ideal as a party nibble tasty.! And quick food ideas for foodies big and small hope you enjoy them – onceafoodie.com No!, sure warm brown bread which the, the mooncakes are back at Costco press cheese..., passionate about travel, baking, photography, low tox living, fitness and health,! Stiff dough used to enjoy when you were growing up then stir in the butter into small cubes, add! Crispy, crunchy and cheesy, sure and set aside appetizer for your next party and are easily using!