The younger cat does like to wait behind doors and then jump out, pounce on and chase the older cat. Even a large cardboard box can entertain her, enabling her to jump in, hide and jump out at unsuspecting passersby. Every time your older kitty strolls into the living room, little Max comes barreling around the corner, trying to get Lulu to play. the kitten is 3 months and the cat is 4 years. What you could do is to play with both of them together. We play with the younger one for hours each day, trying to distract him from attacking the older one, and we even take him for walks outside on warmer days. Neutering and aging are two factors that will calm them down as they age but they are playful and rambunctious little weenies. Often theyll hiss or swat to keep them in line. He’s a tabby, and his name is Milo. He is a male kitten, less than a year old. But once cats get older, they use other vocalizations -- such as yowling, hissing, and growling -- to communicate with each other. This doesn’t always happen. The only disciplinary action we take is a spray bottle, but I’ve heard it’s not effective in “training” your cat, and it’s obviously not working. A cat jumping condo gives your furry friend a place to jump, exercise, and explore. Mr.Bears is over 10 pounds. Older cat was very suspicious at first and spent a lot of time outside but has gradually become more accepting. Even walking can result in limping. They need to run and jump and climb and chase and pounce. Place light baking sheets at the counter's edge. oooh - no. It can be frustrating when you have to deal with your cat jumping onto the kitchen countertop and other unwanted surfaces, such as coffee tables, bedside tables, etc. Slippery Surfaces. Other ways to get your cat does to stop jumping on the bed are more annoying because they involve making noises that it doesn't like. I actually wish the older cat would perhaps bite back, but she just hisses and growls. Is there anything we can do? We are seeing the same behavior from the young cat that people have described. Only thing is we live in a small-ish apartment. How do I stop this from happening? The Vet told us that most cats are given up for adoption when they are around 7-8 months for this very reason. Yeah I’d definitely love to give her a place to go. Cats prefer not to reveal perceived weakness. Put the elder cat in a safe room, and let the kitten have the run of the house while you are at work. The kitten is young, so you'll have to protect her. You also need to kitten-proof your home — or keep your baby confined in a safe part of the house whenever you’re not watching him — and then spend a few months picking your little baby off the drapes, off the kids, off the back of the couch, or off your slippers. You must be logged in to post a comment. It’s important to keep both pussycats separate for a while so they can adjust to the scent of a new cat. Start to prepare before the kitten arrives. Continued Discouraging your Cat from Jumping on Countertops and Tables. Cat trees are also an excellent way to let your cats jump and climb to their hearts desire. There is never going to be improvement for this kitten and your older cat if the kitten is shut in a room alone for two-thirds of every day. I got Milo because his mother died, but he was already weaned. Aside from water, a surprising sound might also deter a cat from jumping … However, this is a common problem with cats and there are ways to get your cat to prevent jumping on work surfaces and other surfaces that you … Top 10 Ways To Stop Cats From Jumping On Counters and Furniture Read More » By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. The younger cat does like to wait behind doors and then jump out, pounce on and chase the older cat. Helen Lewis from Florida on January 05, 2010: Thank you ~ I love the visuals you create with your writing! Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts . You are its substitute mother, remember. Wow! If he is making extremely loud, high pitched meows/ squeaks then you give him a little break on your lap or in another room and give him affection for a bit. 5 Month Old Kitten Care Tips; Leave a Reply Cancel reply. We took in a very young kitten. Plenty of reasons exist why the junior cat in your household chases the senior cat. Here’s how to stop kitten biting the right way. Thanks for this advice -- it is very good. The smooth, cool surface of the wall is fun to jump up on and then 'slide' down. Alternatively, string some twine between 2 empty cans at the point where your cat jumps up to create a noise when the cat touches the twine that will scare it. But when the activity becomes dangerous, such as your kitty jumping off the top of a fridge, Wilson advises cat owners try redirecting the behavior with a toy to chase or even an empty cardboard box to keep the cat busy. Hi it's been a month and a half since we've gotten a new kitten in addition to the cat we already have. If you say to it, 'you can have affection only on my terms', you are breaking the two-way communication that the kitten needs, and which will be repaid as he/she gets older. I have been giving him a bully remedy that I saw on Jackson Galaxy's website but it doesn't seem to work. Is there anything we can do? Try to distract the kitten with other play instead of your older cat, who doesn't seem to be laying down the law with the kitten. I.E. she won’t allow brushing, which she badly needs, cuddling you name it. The kitten has recently started attacking the older cat---like you said, arms wrapped around the cat's neck and biting. How to Care for 1 Week Old Kitten (NewBorn Kitten) November 01, 2020 3067 Views; Blue Buffalo Kitten Food Reviews and Information November 12, 2020 2041 Views; White Kitten with Blue Eyes (Deafness/Blindness) November 03, 2020 3506 Views; … I try my best to distract him with string toys and mice and laser pointers, but he suddenly loses interest and zooms over to the older cat. 10. It seemed to work until the cat learned she could just mush down the fabric. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies on your device as described … How to Keep Cats from Jumping Onto the Kitchen Counter. From a biological standpoint, owners should expect kittens, especially those under the age of 6 months, to have a ton of energy. We also have an almost 10 year old neutered male cat that is declawed (was when we adopted him). If a cat is to jump, it first needs a firm footing on the ground. I know kittens are playful and full of energy, which is obviously expected and fine, but he keeps jumping my older cat (8) and grabbing her by the scruff. But just as wild, and stronger and bigger lol.. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. Our question this week was: This involves two year and a half old male domestic short hair cat siblings. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Alternatively, if your cat jumps on tables or counters, balance cookie sheets on the edge of those surfaces so they’ll fall and make a loud noise when your cat tries to jump up on them. Our older car is having a hard time trusting her because of this. My Kitten 7 Months old Keeps jumping up at the walls why is this - Answered by a verified Cat Vet We use cookies to give you the best possible experience on our website. Regardless, you'll have to teach the younger to stop chasing the older. Kittens meow to their mothers when they’re hungry, cold, or scared. Pet your new kitten and, at the same time, allow your older cat to sniff you while you give it its favorite treats. Jake never tries to fight with Bella and if Jake does get out of line Bella gives him a wack and a hiss. Kitten & 7 year old cat. At times, the two cats lie together on the bed and take naps. As the kitten gets older it should chill out a little but it's normal for cats to play stalk each other. The younger cat may be aggressive or playful or something else. Posted by 5 years ago. She seems to have some thinning fur on her stomach which I hadn’t noticed until a few months of having the kitten and … It's a great learning process that does not involve the master's presence. She is quite playful and loves to run around. However, these may hurt the cat if the pan falls over. We followed all the recommended strategies for introducing a new cat - kept them apart for a while, then gradual supervised introductions, swopped blankets etc. I hope someone has some better ideas for you. 7 Tips to Introduce a Kitten to an Older Cat 1. Cats fall off things more than they wo Kitten & 7 year old cat. Need Help, The following errors occurred with your submission. It's possible that your kitten sees something you don't, like a very tiny insect, on the wall, and he is jumping to try to catch it; however, kittens/cats will sometimes just make this a game and do it to occupy themselves. Keep it interesting for her by rotating her toys, boxes to hide in and even crumpled pieces of paper to bat around. I hate this set-up because it means we have to have food and a mess box in 2 areas of the house and the little guy is trashing the place. Kitten food tends to be higher in calories, but it also contains some vital nutrients that a growing kitten needs. Why do cats sit on you? Unfortunately your older cats are now beyond, have outgrown, the age when they would naturally play. they hiss and bat at one another, but it doesnt last more than a minute. So surely, a cat biting this area to assert dominance on a kitten is a similar behaviour. I know kittens are playful and full of energy, which is obviously expected and fine, but he keeps jumping my older cat (8) and grabbing her by the scruff. Close. I had her in my old apartment when I lived with roommates but she was the only pet and that apartment was way smaller. Play with the kitten when you come home … A. Kitten biting may be cute when your cat is young — but it won’t be when your cat gets older. Older cats may have a hard time grooming themselves, and paired with a declining appetite, may lose weight or become dehydrated. Hello everyone, I recently followed advice on introducing a new kitten. I don't know what to do. We're worried that he'll break the tv or pull it over one day and break the tv and himself! More mature and understanding to disipline. Our kitten keeps scaring our older cat by pouncing on her or chasing her. Is this Kitten Behavior or Dominance? The older cat will use cat discipline that the kitten will understand. Downtime would not be the same for me without a purring cat on my lap. The kitten is constantly chasing the older one around and if they just pass each other the kitten will jump onto the others back and tackle or bite. He gets so manic and into everything. The older one will not fight back and will whine and try to get away. I want to do everything in my power to get them to get along. It provides great climbing opportunities and, in multi-cat households, creates more play and rest areas by taking advantage of vertical space. Clearly Lulu is annoyed and swats and hisses at your younger cat. Eventually, I think they'll get into "fair fight" and reach a settlement. Our older car is having a hard time trusting her because of this. If you can, locate the cat tree next to a window so your cat can watch the action outdoors. This simple means of discouraging your cats from jumping on the countertop works because the cats will land on the sheets when they jump onto the counter. The older cat doesn't mind the little one as long as he doesn't do this, but as soon as he gets jumped on, my older cat shrieks, hisses and gets upset. It is normal for kittens to play by pouncing and jumping on things. He is a good cat apart from menial behavioral issues, but one thing that irritates me the most, is that he loves to jump onto my shoulders. Great hub! My kitten who is around 6 months old hides under furniture and out of no where jumps on my leg and hugs it and runs away. A cat tree can be short, or may stretch from floor to ceiling. Kitten proof the house so kitten is safe, and make sure there is enough cat furniture for climbing and jumping. Buy a ready-made cat tree (often called a "kitty condo"), or make your own. Kitten is now a juvenile and is terrified when she sees the other cat. Mother cats normally start weaning their kittens at 4 weeks, but in the case of orphaned kittens, the process can start at around 3 weeks old. Our kitten is very playful and mischevious, and she loves pouncing on our older cat a few times a day. If your cat is not jumping and seems largely reluctant to move, you need to manage its arthritis pain. This may help to teach your cat that the scent of the new kitten is not a bad thing. Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by CrazyK, Sep 2, 2016. I think she finds it nice when I close him out of our bedroom but then she doesn’t have access to the litter box. I can't get another kitten and potentially have 2 cats going after the older cat. Over time, your older cat may start to associate the smell of the kitten with treats, making it a positive scent. Matthew is around 13. To discipline your cat or kitten, try associating unpleasant consequences with bad behaviors, like spraying bitter orange on your plants so it will taste unpleasant when your cat tries to eat it. Do not wait for your cat tell you that it is in pain. We have a five-month old kitten, who is great, except for one problem: he annoys our older cat (four years old) very frequently with aggressive play behavior. It is normal for kittens to play by pouncing and jumping on things. Another way to stop your cat from jumping is to put some tape on the table, so that when it jumps up, its legs will stick which it won't like. This can give your cat an unkempt or scruffy appearance. I would not recommend punishing the kitten for playing as it will get mixed signals and possibly become hostile or have other behavioral issues. We think they need to work it out, but we certainly don't want anyone to get hurt, or even our 12-yr-old to hide from now on. However, as some have commented, it can also be a form of dominance behavior. our older female cat was very aggressive from the start and we have to keep them completely separated we have tried to have some supervised time with them but ultimately it lead to our older cat attacking the new cat. Regular monitoring will be required. Prevent an all-out brawl from occurring by tossing out a few balls, fuzzy mice or other types of catnip-free toys to distract Max. Spraying with a water bottle is not a good means of discipline for cats. We think he's around 8 months old now. With you as well as without you. She doesn't cry or even seem to mind it, but I am terrified he will accidentally hurt her. I have a 4+ yr old ragdoll cat….got her when she was 10 mo from a breeder who decidednot to breed this particular cat….. should, have been a red flag for sure…we can’t touch her without an appt. I have a 6yr old sweet, well behaved female cat. We’ve been trying the whole “time out” method too but that hasn’t showed much promise either. While your cat may not jump off your balcony, they do also stand a good chance of falling off. However, the action of telling a kitten not to jump up at you could give it mixed signals. It's gotten so bad that we give them each half the house with closed doors between them at night and when we're not home (which is hardly ever because we both work out of the house). A friend of mine wove some mesh fabric between the posts of her railing to keep cats from jumping off the landing. Alternatively, if your cat jumps on tables or counters, balance cookie sheets on the edge of those surfaces so they’ll fall and make a loud noise when your cat tries to jump up on them. During play occasionally, one jumps on top of the other and straddles one on the bottom’s back and grabs the nape of his brother’s neck (the same area that momma kitties pick up their little ones from) with, I am assuming, his teeth and holds him there for upwards of a minute. The kitten will continue to become more and more unsocialized. Obviously I don't know if he does this when we're not there but it seems to be an attention seeking thing because everytime he does this we have to get up and shoo him off. My male cat keeps biting the female one in her neck hard and won't let go. She is now 6months old. We have a decent sized bedroom, a good sized living room, a tiny kitchen, and a small bathroom. I also have a 1 ½-year-old calico cat named Bessy. Neck biting/dominance issue. This may never happen. Press J to jump to the feed. However, as some have commented, it can also be a form of dominance behavior. Joined: Dec 28, 2014 ... every night and half the mornings and this is specifically to give the older cats time on their own.The time apart keeps … #3 Empty Cans with Coins. he constantly jumps on his sister, sprays in the garden, humps the comfy blanket. Commenting to reference back because I'm having a similar issue disciplining my kitten. She was fine there too. Maybe older kitty needs a room or space that's all her own she can go when she's had about enough of it. I have a five month old kitten and will try your suggestions. Hi everyone. I just feel bad because when we go home for the holidays I take the older cat home with me and my boyfriend takes the kitten home with him. In its most pure form, it’s mating behavior. The cat will not generate enough force to … DEAR JOAN: I have a 3-month-old kitten. You do not need to be rough or harsh with the youngster; simply pick her up and deliver her quietly to the private room. The kitten can learn that the consequence of chasing or “bugging” the older cat is a timeout in the bathroom by herself. Not everyone will suit each person’s circumstance. The resident cat was doing well during the supervised time, not hissing but also not making an attempt to go up to the kitten. My kittens are about 2 years old and still just as wild. However, giving the older cat a place to retreat to would help, somewhere that the kitten cannot get to, like a high up perch. on further research think he has too much testosterone . Otherwise you'll have hair flying and kitty brawls around every corner. Discussion in 'Cat Training and ... and this was to protect the older cats not the kittens who were full of confidence. The older cat starts screaming and hides under the bed. It is part of a normal kitten's development to play aggressively because they are learning the predatory skills that a cat in the wild would need to know for survival. We recently brought in a new addition to the family. When Does a Kitten Become a Cat? Log in sign up. Time will help I think, it's only been 3 weeks, but just wondered about other opinions as to if we are doing the right things. On a reassuring note, most kittens grow out of the aggressive stage and grow into adorable, sweet natured cats who would never dream of … The kitten is in his own room when we are at work during the day and at night. It’s a good idea to check out all the options below and see which if any will work for your circumstances and your cat. The 2.5 year old plays with her all the while but sometimes he gets rough, then i stop him. Cookies help us deliver our Services. If the ground below a cat’s feet is slippery, jumping may be impossible. New Kitten Jumping Older Cat - Help! I think we’re going to wait until he’s a year and some change to see if he’ll stop with the mounting. My cat Brutus keeps jumping up the front of our flat screen tv. The kitten wants to be close to your face, so as to give and receive affection. Hi, i am at my wits end with my new kitten Louis who is about 5 months old, as he wont stop terrorizing my 8yr old cat Minnie. Last October i introduced a 2.5 year old + 16 year old to a 14 week old kitten. I have not resorted to the squirt bottle because I agree with Jackson Galaxy on this but I am getting close to trying it to see if it helps. Archived. I have been concerned with how rough he has been with her but have been supervising closely to ensure no fighting. Anyone have any idea on a time frame he might calm down by? Press J to jump to the feed. We're worried that he'll break the … If you recently adopted the cat, get a record of his medical history from the shelter or rescue group. Help! She seems to have some thinning fur on her stomach which I hadn’t noticed until a few months of having the kitten and I’m afraid it’s because he’s stressing her out so much. As the kitten grows, she will realize that she can stick up for herself. If this affects a kitten, find out what you can about the mother cat's prenatal history, such as whether she was current on her FVRCP vaccinations (given against three contagious diseases affecting cats). In its most pure form, it’s mating behavior. The other cat is a 2 year old female. I really don’t mind him playing or running around, it’s just him grabbing her by the scruff that gets me angry because she gets so defensive but he’s holding her down so she can’t do much. My older cat was declawed when we adopted her, but we do not want to declaw our kitten. If the cat is old or not very quick to move, this is also not recommended as they may hurt themselves. We took home a male stray 2 months ago and he has more than doubled in size since we brought him home. He weighs over 11 lbs and we had him neutered a month ago. Pictures, videos, articles and questions featuring and about cats. Our kitten keeps scaring our older cat by pouncing on her or chasing her. My 15 month old neutered male kitten, Milo, has been pouncing and softly biting my 9 week old kitten, Jenny, over their first few days of meeting. Your kitten isn't really being aggressive, just playful. Some people might use plastic or metal pans. She kind of just watches him from afar and stays very still. If you provide your cat with alternatives for climbing and, at the same time, arrange the environment so that places like countertops and tables are scary for your cat, you may be able to teach her to avoid those specific areas. Obviously I don't know if he does this when we're not there but it seems to be an attention seeking thing because everytime he does this we have to get up and shoo him off. posted by LolaGeek at 9:10 AM on January 28, 2010 . Every time he sees the older cat, he jumps on him, tackling him and biting his neck. Another friend, who often fosters litters of kittens, puts cardboard across the open areas. I constantly monitor them and yell at Mr.Bears when he does it, but it almost seems as if he can't control himself. There are several methods that you can use to keep indoor cats jumping off the balcony. Neck biting/dominance issue. I think time will help. When you see your cat go to jump onto the bed you can shake a rattle or a can with coins in and watch with patience, it will stop it. What he does is when the older cat is resting or doing something else, he will run up to her, wrap his paws around her neck and try to start a play fight, and he starts trying to wrestle her. Kittens need socialization, and enormous amounts of interactive play time. We have a 12 year old calico and 3 weeks ago adopted a 6-month old kitten. One of the greatest joys of living with cats is when one of them chooses to lounge on top of me. 10. Some of her toys can be something she can play with on her own. He’s a neutered male. A cat with cardiomyopathy will always be at risk of developing a new blood clot. A kitten that's protecting its "territory" from a perceived threat or interloper (such as a small child or …