Is there some way that I can make it without stock? It contains very few ingredients and it is a very simple, and delicately flavored soup. Potato leek soup is a classic soup that our family has made for generations. In this delicious and nourishing leek, chorizo and potato soup, the smoky chorizo sausage contrasts beautifully with the sweet leek flavour and a chicken broth base (you can either make your own or use a store-bought concentrate) gives it plenty of flavour. … ... Saute for a few minutes until the vegetables soften without letting them brown. This soup was a huge favorite in my classes not just because it was creamy and delicious, but also because it is very easy to make. I like the creamy thickness of the potatoes without having to add any cream at all. You can also use an immersion blender. To reduce waste, I like to take the dark green part and freeze it in a reusable bag. Add salt and pepper to taste. Vegan potato leek soup with lemon for a lightened up version of the classic comfort food dish. This simple homemade recipe is quick and easy to make and turns out absolutely creamy and delicious. Then add the potatoes and garlic, stir it around until the garlic becomes fragrant. A quick and easy dairy free potato leek soup recipe that's simple to throw together on a chilly fall day. There is nothing better on a chilly, damp day than a steaming bowl of potato leek soup; and conversely, few things are as delicious and refreshing on a hot, sweaty day than a bowl of ice cold vichyssoise. follow along with my stories over on Instagram, Pot Roast Soup in the Ninja Foodi (Pressure Cooker and Slow Cooker Option), 9 Unhealthy Habits That Sabotage Your Results, Stuck in a Nutrition Rut? Tried this recipe and love it? / Design by. Those golden potatoes, along with green leeks and chicken broth infused and cooked together, just make this soup … Just use the potato … And maybe an optional garnish of parsley or chives. Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onions, potatoes and leeks. Before blending the soup add 100g (4oz) of blue cheese, such as Cashel Blue or Stilton, to the soup. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. To make this leek and potato soup vegetarian, skip the bacon and increase the butter to 4 tablespoons. Note: If using a standard blender to purée the soup: be sure not to fill the jar more than halfway; … Serve with chopped fresh parsley, chives, or sprinkle with nutritional yeast for a cheesy and dairy free flavor. Learn how your comment data is processed. ... Hi MJ, it's really worth trying without the stock. I have made a few adjustments to make it a Slimming World leeks and potato soup … Leek, Potato and Blue Cheese Soup. Many say that leek and potato soup originated in Wales and there are also variations of it in Romania and France. I'm a Certified Holistic Nutritionist, Notes. Uncover the pan and discard the paper. Add peeled Yukon gold potatoes to the pot and cover with chicken stock. Leek and potato soup is a full on creamy recipe without the need for milk or cream. Heat the oil in a heavy soup pot over a medium high flame. Download Potato leek soup stock photos. You could certainly switch the ratios around if you want fewer potatoes in the soup. Nutritional yeast isn’t the kind of yeast you’re thinking of. © 2020 CHOWHOUND, A RED VENTURES COMPANY. Add chopped bacon for a whole new soup. This Low-Carb “Potato” Leek Soup is a Paleo, low-carb, and dairy-free comfort food. The soup recipe today is known as potato leek soup. If you don’t have a hand blender, you can use a food processor or conventional blender too. Start by boiling the peeled potatoes. This simple meal is perfect for cozy autumn and winter meals or with the first spring vegetables. ), COMFORTING, FLAVORFUL AND SO EASY! How to make vegan potato leek soup. Make this Potato Leek Soup vegetarian by swapping the chicken stock for vegetable stock. Thaw in the fridge overnight … The soup recipe today is known as potato leek soup. THIS POTATO LEEK SOUP IS MEGA CREAMY (WITHOUT ANY HEAVY CREAM! I knew I was blending it so it was okay if they didn’t hold their shape. Tips. Leeks have a mild onion-like flavor, which is perfectly paired with the naturally sweet starches found in potatoes. Pour in 850ml of the light chicken or vegetable stock, bring … I did this because: If you are cooking potatoes in non blended soup and you want them to be whole, try Yukon gold. Classic potato leek soup ~ simple and delicious with potatoes, leeks and chicken stock, inspired by Julia Child. 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth (or 1 quart homemade stock or broth) 1 cup water **if using fresh, uncooked potatoes 1 cup milk 2-3 Tbs Tapioca Flour (to thicken) 3 Tbs butter Thyme, Salt & Pepper to taste. But for this leek and potato soup, go for russet. It’s a source of Vitamin B12 that has a cheesy flavor that’s delicious on salads, popcorn, or stirred into sauces and soups. a Culinary Nutrition Expert...and a mom to two littles. To make this recipe dairy free I had two options I wanted to try: I wasn’t sure what to do so I took it up with you guys over on Instagram and 99% of you requested coconut milk. 2 whole leeks. 1. I have eaten many a leeks and potato soup recipe over the years. Creamy, velvety smooth Potato Leek Soup is simple and so comforting in a winter or any time of the year. Add potatoes, cauliflower and chicken broth. Freezing Instructions: You can freeze leek and potato soup for up to 3 months, but don't add the cream. Storing Refrigerator. I’ll also update this recipe when I do it in the pressure cooker and slow cooker for an Instant Pot potato leek soup recipe. This is your step by step guide on how to customize nutrition to your needs, complete with 60+ recipes the whole family will love. Recipe - Food.com Potato-leek soup is one of the most classic soups in the last several decades. VEGETARIAN POTATO AND LEEK SOUP . Melt some butter in a pot and sweat the vegetables. Gluten Free, Low Lactose, Vegan, Vegetarian, or 4 cups chicken broth but skip next ingredient. Start the mushroom broth first, then chop and sauté the vegetables while it simmers. Let me know in the comments. Add chopped potatoes, bay leaves and vegetable stock and bring to a boil. That was still taste good... For example can I just add celery/carrots or other basic soup vegetables in place of stock? Join the discussion today. My recipe keeps things simple, so all you need is a few easily-sourced ingredients, a little time, and your favorite mystery novel while the soup cooks. This soup recipe is a french delight and has got its popularity worldwide due to its unique taste and ingredients used. Years later, I still have a serious soft spot for potato soup, although these days, my first choice is this healthy, easy Instant Pot Potato Soup. How do you make simple potato and leek soup? Sign Up / Log In My Feed Articles Meal Planner New Pantry-Ready Recipes New Browse … This soup was a huge favorite in my classes not just because it was creamy and delicious, but also because it is very easy to make. It’s an inexpensive, delicious meal and makes use of the potato, a hearty crop grown all throughout the world. add the potatoes and carrots, give it a good stir, then add the broth/stock, and let to cook for 12-15 minutes until the veggies are tender; If you’d like to keep the soup vegetarian, use vegetable broth, otherwise, for even more flavour, the chicken broth will work wonders. Blend soup and serve in a bowl with a topping of chives with crusty bread. Perfect for easy … ... 3 cups chicken stock … 50g butter (about 1/4 cup) 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces 1 small onion, chopped 1 pound leeks, the white part only, sliced 2 pints (4 cups) light chicken or vegetable stock Add potatoes, bring to the boil, simmer gently for 30-40 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. All Rights Reserved. If you want to add some extra flavor to your favorite potato & leek soup recipes, try nutritional yeast. POTATO LEEK SOUP (will serve 8 as a main course) Ingredients for the SOUP. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes. freshly chopped chives (for garnish) salt and pepper, to taste. Cut the leek in half-length wise. All it takes is a few simple ingredients, 20 minutes and you’ll have a fall favorite on the dinner table. Your email address will not be published. You may want to make a roux (flour and butter) and add that right before you add the liquid. However if you’re cooking it the traditional way with milk or half and half. Make this Potato Leek Soup vegetarian by swapping the chicken stock for vegetable stock. You’re going to love how easy this dairy free potato leek soup recipe is to make. Copyright ©2020, Randa Nutrition. Add the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Healthy soup recipes to try this fall and winter: What’s your favorite soup recipe during the chilly weather season? Sign up to discover your next favorite restaurant, recipe, or cookbook in the largest community of knowledgeable food enthusiasts. by Jen Wheeler | Holiday baking season means lots of cookies, and we have plenty of great Christmas cookie recipes... by Jen Wheeler | At Christmas time, there are cookies galore, but true dessert lovers still crave something more substantial... by Mijon Zulu | Want some crack? Easy as that. The blended, starchy potatoes provide a velvety and creamy thickness which is greatly enhanced by the delicate onion flavour from the leeks. It’s the perfect recipe for those looking for potato leek soup without cream or milk. Cube the potatoes and bring them to a boil in the stock.