These are a lovely addition to sandwiches, wraps or burgers with any filling. Now I have to marinate the pork roast to try it.) Let me know if you try it! What a great idea! I’ve been told Greek yogurt is the same/similar to natural yogurt. Pickled Red Onions – Easy, Quick, 5 minutes hands on! I know this will be good. From My Bowl uses cookies to improve your experience. I make easy-to-follow, wholesome, and budget-friendly vegan recipes that are mostly gluten-free and refined sugar-free. P. NYM, how about we treat eachother kindly and with a little bit of respect especially when commenting on a recipe that was provided to you for free. I used rice vinegar because that’s all I had on hand and they came out great. It never plays the video. SO good on my avocado toast and salads too!!! As you can see in the photo above, the purple outer portion of the onion will gradually dissolve into the pickling liquid, which will dye your onions a uniform pink color over time! I’m sure this is incredibly delicious! And if you make this recipe and decide to share it on Facebook or Instagram, don’t forget to tag me @FromMyBowl + #FromMyBowl! Could I use a food storage glass container with a plastic lid to store this in the fridge? I asked about one or two red onions recently, but I have answered my own question. I’m sorry, I haven’t tried canning these since they take minutes to make and keep well in the fridge for about a month. … Now for the fun part — put those pickled red onions everywhere! I think a lot of people have tried this recipe without sugar. Thanks for taking the time to come back and leave a comment! After an hour, I cover them and stick them in the fridge. It really livens up the avocado toast and the tangy pickled red onions are the perfect contrast to the rich, creamy avocado. Just made them for the third time. Dissolve the sugar and salt, then I bring to a quick boil….then pour over! Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! What other spices do you think would work? Okay…this might be a dumb question, but coarse kosher salt or table salt? We had pickled red onions on a salad at a restaurant and they were so good I had to make them myself. Love this recipe! Discard? A few hours after we close the jar or several days later? It’ll fit perfectly into a quart-sized mason jar. Learning how to make pickled red onions is SO easy - it only takes five minutes and you probably have all the ingredients! They are such a pretty color! Absolutely delicious! ( We live in Canada) Thanks, super good, very easy! Hello! Thanks for the kind comment, it means a lot! So glad you love these onions! Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. So glad you like these picked red onions, David! I’m the same way! FAQ: Can you pickle other vegetables using the same method? Thank you for taking the time to come back and leave a comment! Yummy! No such thing as a dumb question! […] • Crunchy Asian Slaw: https://frommybowl.com/crunchy-asian-slaw-recipe/ • Pickled Red Onions: https://frommybowl.com/quick-pickled-red-onions/ • Smoky Tempeh: https://frommybowl.com/how-cook-tempeh/ • Sesame Miso Dressing: […], […] LOVE PICKLES! A mandolin definitely makes it easier and faster! The first time I made pickled red onions was for my daughter’s birthday party right after we moved into our new house (seriously, two weeks after). If you are just a little short of the pickling brine, I would top them off with water. I don’t like raw onion and avoid at all costs, but this brine helped tame the “rawness” I dislike. Good tip, thanks Amanda! You can pickle all kinds of things! TIA! I click skip ad & it keeps only playing the ad. Some other popular additions for pickling are coriander seeds or mustard seeds. Good job on the Whole30! :) I like to give a more conservative estimate typically. See, some people cure the onions … What size jar do you use? I have my first batch resting on the counter now, I can’t wait to try them! Nice on a salad. ), I’ve always been a pickle girl. “After an hour cover them.” What do you mean by cover them? I would strongly urge you to keep rude and uncalled comments to yourself or educate yourself before commenting. I’m no longer Potential Pickler. I wanted to. I haven’t canned these, so I’m not sure. When I found your recipe I was so excited lol. Tangy, sweet and perfect for tacos, nachos, salads and more, these Quick and Easy Pickled Red Onions are positively addictive! Are you on a computer, phone, or tablet? You definitely could do some other onion types. Let me know what you think and what you end up putting them on! Such a great thing to make and have on hand. I’m traveling right now and I’m not actually sure what size jar I use (I got the jar I use out of the target dollar section). Maybe I used too big of a red onion?! They are so good!! Yes!! Easy to make. Pour the vinegar into a pan, add the sugar, sea salt, the spices and bay leaf, and bring to a simmer. I’m glad everyone liked them. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Constant here – page unresponsive. I figured there was no way I could wait the hour, ha. Will it alter the recipe? The sugar balances things out nicely. They’re best after they cool completely but you could eat them as soon as 10-15 minutes afterwards. Thanks for taking the time to come back and leave a comment! Slice them as thin as you can to get them to pickle quickly but if you don’t have a mandoline or want a slightly thicker slice, a good sharp knife and a steady hand will work just fine! Most vegetable pickles, done correctly, were intentioned to last for at least 9 months… and many do, like the Italian pasata (tomato sauce) or hundreds of Italian pickles. It’s perfect for leftover red onions! I don’t know what summers in your area are like, but this is the ultimate cooler: yoghurt cools body, tiny bit of chili makes one sweat, which is good in warm weather. These babies are crunchy, delicious, and the perfect topping in salads, on toast, and more! They are crunchy, a hint of sweet, great pink color and easy peasy to make. I’m so happy to hear that! I had pickled red onions for the first time last night at a Mexican restaurant and I was hooked immediately! You’ll love having a jar of these in your fridge for tacos, avocado toast, and more! Let’s talk red onions for a moment – earlier I mentioned I’m not a big fan of raw onions. Yes! This recipe is so easy! It is crazy hot and super delicious! I just made these yesterday, too! We love them too! Excited! That should have been a five-star rating! I have never done that, it always appears a little cloudy by the time I’m done using the onions so I prefer to start fresh since vinegar is fairly inexpensive. You can also add in extra seasonings if you like! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! The answer was likely pickled red onions. ★☆ Store it in the brine! Thanks so much for this recipe. These onions are delicious and oh so easy. Kudos to you. One of the things I decided to make on a whim were these onions. I love pickled onions so much. […] Pickled Red Onions: for texture, color, and a nice bite […], I make these on a regular basis to make sure I always have a jar in the fridge. The pickling liquid! It's possible, and I'm here to help. I may add a few allspice berries to the jar when I make it, to add a bit of spice flavor. I made these last night and they are awesome. Break up the onion slices and stuff them into a quart-sized glass mason jar. Can I reuse it for pickling again? Most educated people would understand that “hands on” means the time in which it takes to initially make something which doesn’t include bake time or pickling time in this case. I can’t believe how wonderful these are!!! One of my favorite ways to eat pickled red onions is on top of avocado toast. Not a silly question! Absolutely! I can only imagine how much more flavorful they will be in the next couple of days! All onion pickle recipes I’ve seen so far include sugar or honey or maple syrup. please email and let me know.It is the first time I have made did this.