unveiled the new Warm Audio Bus-Comp compressor, Warm Audio WA-87 R2 Review: Delivering a happy medium between affordability and quality, The newly-formed United Plugins starts with a bang — three new plugins, Softube Summit Audio Grand Channel review, Audified U73b V2 compression plugin review. I really don’t want to appear like I’m exaggerating but there’s no way around it on this review. It’s versatile, well-designed, and easily takes on competition double its price. The new compressor could be the go-to for budget-minded bedroom producers and professionals alike — especially given how well Warm Audio has performed in the past, and especially considering how expensive good alternatives can be. Caveat: I only listened to the youtube video, through my board and monitors (Equator Audio Q10s). The Warm Audio unit definitely held its own. Telegram. Let’s start with part 1 – The Warm Audio WA-273-EQ. The mic was placed about five feet high, above the rack tom and pointing toward the snare and patched into a Vintech X73. It’s commonly used in recording studios for voice-overs, music, and live radio due to its range. Home. We’re going for cost efficient for the purposes of this review. With conservative settings, you can bring that cohesion to your tracks without adding too much in the way of pump or tone, however if you really want to raise the roof, you can dial in the 10:1 ratio and unleash the beast. This in no way affects our review of a product. Thanks to Premier Guitar Magazine for reviewing the Jet Phaser in their latest video. The WA-47 is designed to sound exactly like the U47— no easy feat, given that the vintage components that made up the U47 are now out of production. Warm Audio wanted to get as close to the original design as possible in this day and age. The WA-47 employs a modern Slovak Republic JJ 5751 … Une référence. The WA12 has the polarity, high z and tone button. Share. Search Warm Audio. On par with other Warm Audio products, the WA-87 holds a very high value in comparison to its quality. Also, be on the lookout for the review complete with audio to back these claims; coming very soon. Sure, the compressor is built for stereo mixes, but the ability to add parallel compression out of the box is always nice, and it would have made the Warm Audio Bus-Comp even more versatile that it already is. 8. Warm Audio WA273-EQ REVIEW By Chris Devine on September 13, 2019. Millennia… as incredible as it is, is very one-dimensional. The three units for comparison come at a much heftier price tag, but I will break each of these units down by price of one channel out of the unit. Then, WA worked with Carnhill Transformers to replicate the Marinair Radar transformers used in the 1073 pre’s very first versions. Don’t just stand here. The WA-47 is a 9 multi-pattern vacuum tube mic and attempts to recreate the popular k47 capsule design of the late 1960’s. If you’re looking for that old console sound that adds soul to a very digital world, you can stop looking. Just for the sake of putting it through its paces, we also tested the compressor on individual tracks, including vocals, guitars, and bass guitars. The compressor is a VCA compressor, or a voltage controlled amplifier compressor. Learn why the Warm Audio WA273 EQ might just be the “must-have” piece of kit for your home studio build … Sometimes in recording, tech trumps tone when it comes to accessibility. Warm Audio WA87. Reviewed: Warm Audio WA73-EQ Single Channel Mic Preamp I’ve had some time with it this month, and I think you should all take a listen. New Gear/ New Toy Review: Warm Audio Wa-47jr FET Condenser Microphone. Although there are many out there recreating older equipment at consumer-prices, we firmly believe this company has consistently done it best. Learn more. When we at Warm Audio decided to release the WA273 it was imperative that it met vintage expectation in both design and performance. Jimmy Byrne October 21, 2020 No Comments Live Sound, Recording, Reviews, Warm Audio. Top critical review. The needle in the VU meter moves to the right when the signal passes the compression — and not to the left as you might get in some other compressors. Share. Ultimately, the compressor delivered a nice cohesion to stereo mixes of all genres. 11 people found this helpful. Over the years there have been a handful of preamps that have really stood the test of time with classic design that resulted in classic sound. In most cases you probably haven’t, but I have a feeling, very soon, this name will be synonymous with the word insanity. I decided since the WA12 did so well with the other pres, I would throw a wild card at it. The features of this microphone set it apart from many of the other microphones with its price tag. Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for Warm Audio WA-47Jr Large-Diaphragm Condenser Microphone at Amazon.com. Warm Audio Introduces WA-47 Tube Condenser Microphone Blast from the past The WA-47 is an all vacuum tube, large diaphragm, transformer balanced, multi-pattern (9), large condenser microphone, based on the classic ‘47 that has been used on countless hit records for the last 50+ years. Facebook. Design - 9/10. Facebook. Over the years there have been a handful of preamps that have really stood the test of time with classic design that resulted in classic sound. It seems to have more bottom end on just about every application. While it certainly fulfills its role in paying homage to the classic U87, the WA-87 updates certain features for a modern ear. Review: Warm Audio Foxy Tone Box. Warm Audio is a Smaller company that is on the rise and at times you may need to wear multiple hats. The answer is another question and is very simple: Why would someone charge you $450 for a preamp that sounds just as good, if not better, than one twice its price? I'm mostly interested in a mic preamp for vocals. Last but not least, there are three buttons — to engage the compressor, engage the external side-chain, and engage the transformers. Recent News . In 2018 Warm Audio released the WA-47. SUMMARY. I did have to send the unit in but I won't hesitate to pick up another WA76 knowing if there's any issues their customer service would be on top of it. Consider the founder, Bryce Young, justified in boldly naming his company Warm Audio. It's not for everyone, But for the people that like challenges and that like working in a family like atmosphere. The best part is that you get the analog feel, without it overpowering the track. Twitter. The second unit is an actual piece of tube gear. The ability to engage the transformers without actually engaging the compressor is a nice touch too — and it means you can add a nice, subtle effect to tracks that may not need compression, or disengage it even when you’re getting compression. 8.5/10. Warm Audio's customer service is incredibly responsive. The WA-47 is a 9 multi-pattern vacuum tube mic and attempts to recreate the popular k47 capsule design of the late 1960’s. Warm Audio did some careful research on what made the 251 so special, and attempted to recreate that through components and design. Curious to hear more about these custom Carnhill transformers. Choice B really stood out, for me, on the vocal (on the guitar too, I just care less). Quickly, mayhem ensued, two mics turned to 3, and another preamp entered the ring to challenge the Warm Audio WA273. Warm Audio makes several other nice microphones, including the Warm Audio WA-47 that I reviewed previously, and a lot of people may be asking themselves which of the two tube mics they should get. Moreover, you can easily remove the operational amplifiers and swap them out for any other models you like. It’s still not the most “audible” compressor out there, but it’s not afraid to make itself known. For starters, you’ll get a threshold adjustment knob, along with knobs for attack, ratio, and release. The SSL also features a similar feature to the tone button with its Variable Harmonic Drive that is said to add a harmonic distortion to color the track. The Warm Audio WA87 is the most versatile microphone out on the market with an affordable price tag for what it offers. Carefully designed and meticulously manufactured, it's made a warm, rich tone affordable for a new generation of recording artists. The company has already come a long way, but it's still just in the early stages of everything. Performance - 8.6/10. The tone button adds 6 dB of gain as well as drops the impedance from 600 ohms to 150 ohms. The Robbie is a great preamp especially for bass. Read more. The high end version I am comparing it to is a Peluso 22 47 LE. So all of the features are great but let’s get down to brass tax, the sound. Related: Review: Warm Audio WA-2A Tube Opto Compressor, by Barry Rudolph, Oct. 27, 2016. REVIEW OVERVIEW. Christian de Looper March 17, 2020 No Comments Recording, Reviews, Warm Audio. Related: Review: Warm Audio TB12 ToneBeast Is a Versatile, Great-Sounding High-Gain Preamp, by Tim Dolbear, Jan. 1, 2014. Contact Us We're here to help. The Warm Audio WA87 is the most versatile microphone out on the market with an affordable price tag for what it offers. I sent an email at 4:40 am on a Saturday and had a reply by 9 am. It is a large diaphragm condenser microphone, which means it requires phantom power in order to function. How does Warm do it? Barry Rudolph. Contact your Sales Engineer. The WA (Warm Audio) brand of capsule is the result of several years of research, a lifetime of listening, and a passion for great sound. The end result is a muddy sounding preamp that you have to EQ to kingdom come in your DAW. Considering the fact that this piece of gear is largely aimed at taking on the likes of the SSL bus compressor, that’s a pretty impressive price range. In particular, we found that the compressor was great at giving things like drum overheads or stereo piano tracks a nice squeeze, but it also performed during things like drum parallel compression. I sent an email at 4:40 am on a Saturday and had a reply by 9 am. Tons of companies are replicating vintage gear. REVIEW OVERVIEW. Voila, you have a stereo summing amplifier (see, I told you that you’d want two of these). The front controls are straight-forward as well, giving you Hi Z, Phantom Power, Pad, Polarity Switch, and the aforementioned “tone” button. Excellent price. You really have to push the SSL to get the sweet spot with the VHD knob but the tone button seems to add its character at any level. The capsule is Warm Audio's own WA12-B-60V, which is said to capture "all the smoothness, rich top end and warm vintage sonics of the original CK12 capsule", though it's not clear how closely they have recreated this notoriously difficult-to-copy item. Shop Sweetwater inSync SweetCare Events Careers Used Gear Marketplace (800) 222-4700 Talk to an expert! Warm Audio WA-73 + WA-273EQ !! As mentioned, however, where the compressor really shines is in bus compression, and to that end we used the compressor on a range of tracks. Nowadays, it seems only fair to crown Warm Audio the king company, in terms of product value. Over the years, they have released multiple microphones including the WA-47 and WA-87, clones of Neumann’s legendary U47 and U87 microphones. Read honest and unbiased product reviews from our users. Warm Audio Foxy Tone Box. 11 people found this helpful. 9/10. It's a fantastic all-purpose studio microphone for advanced setups. Email. REVIEW OVERVIEW. Does it stack up to the original? Twitter. Warm Audio is the brainchild of engineer Bryce Young and the company is renowned for their recreations of classic recording gear such as the EQP-WA equaliser and the WA76 and WA-2A compressors (the latter two reviewed in Audio Media International)-I’m sure you can work out which particular vintage hardware they are based on by their model numbers. Naming your company after an adjective that is used almost exclusively to describe the most desirable trait in recording sound is a brave move. The simplicity of this unit is what makes it so great, even down to the button labeled “tone” that I have determined is linked, by some sorcery, to a vintage analogue console hidden somewhere in my house. The Tonebeast 12 is a one-channel preamp designed to give you complete and full control over your output. Premier Guitar Reviews the Warm Audio Jet Phaser. Warm Audio WA76 Discrete... Walmart. The Warm Audio Bus-Comp is a relatively good-looking 1U machine, with a black and gray color-scheme and that increasingly popular Warm Audio logo on the left. Build wise, this new WA-251 from Warm Audio is really robust. Facebook. The company has already come a long way, but it's still just in the early stages of everything. Ideally you'd want both in a well-rounded mic cabinet, but if you can only afford one or the other the question becomes much more difficult. On the front of the compressor, you’ll get a small VU meter, which lights up when the compressor is on, and reacts when in use. We found that the compressor was great at bringing through some of that low end response that otherwise might get lost in a mix, but thanks to the high pass filter, you can also eliminate rumble, which is particularly useful on things like a stereo piano track, for example. It reminds me of the character the Universal Audio 710 has with the blend knob that is between the solid state and the tube leaning slightly more to the tube side, except the WA has more clarity. Above all else, Warm Audio capsules came from the desire to give customers far more quality/value than what they are used to getting in an affordable microphone. Safe to say, the compressor was ultimately pretty versatile, and while if you’re looking for a compressor for things like vocals or individual guitar tracks you may find better solutions, in a pinch this will do the job just fine. Warm Audio WA12 Review Part 1: The Writing, Plugin Alliance Releases 354E Multiband Limiter, Universal Audio UAD API 2500 Bus Compressor, Review: Kush Audio Omega and Transformer Plugins, Dual Review: PreSonus FaderPort and ioStation 24c, STL TONES TONEHUB: A TONE-MONGER’S PARADISE. It's not for everyone, But for the people that like challenges and that like working in a family like atmosphere. Warm Audio is the brainchild of engineer Bryce Young and the company is renowned for their recreations of classic recording gear such as the EQP-WA equaliser and the WA76 and WA-2A compressors (the latter two reviewed in Audio Media International)-I’m sure you can work out which particular vintage hardware they are based on by their model numbers. Sound - 9/10. Most of the preamps out there claim the “vintage sound”, but only throw tubes and poor circuitry at you to cut cost. Copyright © All Things Gear. Sure, it’s particularly a good choice for those looking for a great bus compressor on a budget, but even larger studios could make great use of the compressor thanks to its transparency, ease of use, and excellent sound quality. It is a large diaphragm condenser microphone, which means it requires phantom power in order to function. I have enough confidence in this pre that I will put the WA12s silky smooth highs and open sound against a crystal clear $800 channel. GO order one right now. The overall sound was smooth and well-balanced. The front quarter-inch HiZ input makes life easier for running in the guitars and keyboards without having to dive into that tangled web of cables behind your desk. Warm Audio has continued its trend of creating modern reproductions of classic studio gear. They don't cut corners on components (the WA-2A employs a custom optical photocell and genuine US-made Cinemag transformers), but they do order parts and build in quantity, which helps to keep costs down. Tumblr. Of course, it’s not limited to just microphones. The Warm Audio “WA73 Family” consists of single and dual channel '73-style preamps (with & w/out EQ), that each pay careful homage to British audio history. It's a small company which means every employee has an opportunity to make a difference and contribute to the company's growth. Warm Audio's customer service is incredibly responsive. This means there is no limit to the type of tone you can get from this preamp. You pretty much have all bases covered from high SPL instruments (with the pad) to quieter ones (with the total of 71 dB combined with the tone button). Warm Audio has earned their great reputation by producing high quality reproductions of classic studio gear at an affordable price. The result is three reviews – one of the channel strip, one of the mic, and one of both of them versus the world. WARM AUDIO WA14 - L e micro WA-14 se base sur un grand classique à condensateur le " 414 " qui a été utilisé dans un nombre incalculable de Hits. It’s a simple setup — including an input and output for the left and right channels, and an input for the side-chain. Twitter. Buy the Warm Audio WA-87 on Amazon USA or Amazon UK. When you buy products through links across our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. So, our third model is a channel from a Millennia HV3 series. What does that mean? Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for Warm Audio WA-47Jr Large-Diaphragm Condenser Microphone at Amazon.com. Pinterest. But a good reviewer has to bring in actual physical comparisons and not just opinions, so I’m going to break into my own studio’s arsenal to compare them. Warm Audio are hardly the first to copy the one-inch, centre-terminated, dual-backplate capsule Neumann developed for the U67 and related microphones: the design has been a staple of Far Eastern mic manufacture ever since companies like Rode first brought affordable capacitor mics to … With the help of Roy Hendrickson at Power Station (New York), I compared the WA-47 to two vintage U47s, as well as a 47 that Roy built by hand using original parts and following the original schematics. The WA12 has found a way to give you a discrete preamp, with custom designed transformers, that still somehow crush the competition in both price and sound. On some tracks, you can really deliver that “in-your-face” feel, while on others, the compressor is more than capable of subtle enhancements. I almost use it exclusively for every bass track I put in, but in any other application it falls short, lacking the highs. Out of the box, it comes with a shock mount and clip. It’s commonly used in recording studios for voice-overs, music, and live radio due to its range. The polarity button is very handy for recording a stereo mix (see you want two!) It's a small company which means every employee has an opportunity to make a difference and contribute to the company's growth. All Things Gear Reviews The WA-87 R2 Thanks to All Things Gear for giving the new WA-87 R2 and 8.8/10 rating! On average every single Warm Audio product was hit over 4.000 times at the Thomann Online Store within the last month. Warm Audio… Ever heard of them? There is one feature missing that wouldn’t have added much complexity to the compressor, and that’s a “Mix” knob. Though the Millennia had slightly more highs, the Millennia’s sole purpose is transparent sound. … Facebook. It also features an additional instrument input with the special Hi-Z signal path that makes every instrument work well, but especially ones like electric guitars and basses. That’s roughly $407.00 per channel, which isn’t terrible; but also remember that SSL is an extremely big name in audio, so even going head to head is no easy feat. Warm Audio's WA-2A set its target high: the most iconic tube compressor in history. These buttons light up yellow when in use. When the tone button isn’t engaged, you get a very transparent sound with a very balanced low end, but the tone adds a character to it that is almost exclusive to this preamp. This quickly was sent into overdrive when my dad bought an Alesis ADAT. We wanted to see how some of their microphones compared to their vintage counterparts and so we tested four microphones and now we can we can announce the results Twitter. The WA-87 is nearly identical to the popular Neumann U87 but at ¼ the cost. These Warm units with EQ will be undercutting the stock (non-Carnhill) Chameleon Labs 7603 by about a $100, but the Warm adds Carnhill transformers, very nice. In todays Gear Time episode we will test and review the Warm Audio Bus Compressor. It's a fantastic all-purpose studio microphone for advanced setups. SUMMARY. Warm Audio Foxy Tone Box. The WA-47 employs a modern Slovak Republic JJ 5751 tube. You can also watch their Jet Phaser First Look video below! 8.8/10. The other thing is the versatility with the Millennia. Warm Audio WA76 deals. I even wanted to put it up against a piece of gear that’s sole purpose is a warm sound, so I used the Blue Robbie; a one channel coming in at $799. Warm Audio Jet Phaser. Warm Audio WA-87 R2 Review: Delivering a happy medium between affordability and quality. Headed up by founder Bryce Young, the Warm Audio Team consists if highly experienced musicians, engineers and technicians in … Through economies of scale, mostly. Hey there! Pinterest. Also the XLR and ¼ inch outputs are linked and can both be used simultaneously, making it very simple to take two of these units and run an output on each to your DAW and the other outputs to the monitors. On the front of the compressor, you’ll get a small VU meter, which lights up when the compressor is … Richard Purvis. Review: Warm Audio Jet Phaser The second of Warm Audio’s uncompromising remakes of out-there 1970s pedals involves phase, fuzz… and 2.1kg of chunky retro goodness. Quickly, mayhem ensued, two mics turned to 3, and another preamp entered the ring to challenge the Warm Audio WA273. Our Verdict . Great build quality. To the right of the VU meter, there are a series of knobs for controlling the compressor. Of course, perhaps the best things about the compressor have to do with what’s under the hood. Warm Audio WA-14 Condenser Microphone. £499; €649; $599; By Stuart Bruce 28 October 2014. A fearsome floor-monster that has the massive tones to match its footprint. The Owner is very open minded to new ideas that might help certain departments or individuals with in those departments. The overall design of the compressor makes it approachable for beginners, and easy to use for those who already know their way around studio equipment. And, of course, you can really have some fun with the compressor on things like guitar or vocal mix-downs, where it can be used to offer a subtle squeeze, or a more audible pump. Warm Audio Tonebeast Review: Overview And Features. From the age of eight, using my cheap Yamaha PSR-500 keyboard's 4 track limited recorder, I became fascinated with tracking audio. Warm Audio is a Smaller company that is on the rise and at times you may need to wear multiple hats. The compressor is set up largely for stereo use, but you can use it for mono tracks too, as long as you keep in mind the fact that you can’t use the Bus-Comp in a dual-mono setup. 8. Warm Audio is a great place to work with very competitive wages. The Warm Audio Bus-Comp doesn’t go over-the-top in terms of features, but that’s part of the approachability of it — and what it does do, it does well. Over the past few years, Warm Audio has built a name for itself as a company that builds high-quality equipment at a reasonable price. All This Thread Reviews Gear Database Gear for sale Latest Trending. The second of Warm Audio’s uncompromising remakes of out-there 1970s pedals involves phase, fuzz… and 2.1kg of chunky retro goodness. I metered the two as closely to each other as I could and, I have to say, the WA12 held up very easily. Review: Warm Audio Foxy Tone Box. What’s even crazier about Bryce is that this started out as just a hobby; but his designing of custom “one off” preamps and modding of other preamps got him quite a bit of attention from customers. Email. Rated 5.0 / 5 by 13 customers! WA273-EQ Warm Audio Bus-Comp Review. Warm Audio mics are all about putting a modern twist to nostalgia, and the WA-87 is no different. Email. The high end version I am comparing it to is a Peluso 22 47 LE. It can give you that warm vintage sound or a more transparent sound, with the switch of a button. Although the WA12 didn’t compare as well in the bass department, it definitely was a clear leader in this comparison. -Warm Audio is a growing company and there is a great amount of opportunity for growth as the company grows. It’s commonly used in recording studios for voice-overs, music, and live radio due to its range. 2nd September 2020. Value - 9.3/10. But what about plugins? It looks, sounds and feels like the 1176 without the vintage price and the potential maintenance issues. Note: Audio to prove this is coming soon to the review. 23rd September 2020. Read more. Warm Audio is a gear manufacturer that strives to emulate the sound quality of vintage high-end gear, but with a much smaller price tag. Sure, there are plugins out there that will do the job, but if you’re serious about music-making it’s worth taking the best of both worlds, and the Warm Audio Bus-Comp is a good example of why. Over the past few years, Warm Audio has built a name for itself as a company that builds high-quality equipment at a reasonable price. Might I suggest using this as a channel to add spice to your re-amped direct in guitar track. Richard Purvis. Warm Audio WA87 Review. At NAMM 2020, the company unveiled the new Warm Audio Bus-Comp compressor, which boasts two-channel setup, a modern design, and VCA compression — and all at the reasonable price of $699. From an American brand known for its recording equipment comes an authentically hirsute take on one of the wildest fuzz boxes of the 1970s. Warm Audio wanted to get as close to the original design as possible in this day and age. I love matching, so I used the Blue Spark (review here) with the focus button not engaged. He or she needs a “Swiss Army Knife” in their arsenal that takes most of the post processing out of the recording task. Warm Audio WA87. But does it ultimately deliver, or should you steer clear? Warm Audio WA76 review A UREI 1176 without the price tag? Read Sweetwater customer reviews for Warm Audio Bus-Comp 2-channel Stereo VCA Bus Compressor Reviews. It comes in a half rack one channel version, but can be rack mounted when you buy two of them (more on why you’re going to want two in a sec).